We are all really excited to meet you in Matera and to get into the groove of being with people passionate about the world of geo-data!
The course is hosted by Universita della Basilicata – Dipartimento delle culture europee e del Mediterraneo and the venue is at the Università degli Studi della Basilicata, Via del Castello, 75100 Matera – Italy, which is under 15min walking distance from all B&Bs located in the old city centre “I Sassi “.
You can enter from Via Annibale M. di Francia or from Via del Castello.
Recommended Accommodation (Cheap, clean and in a nice heritage building)
For the accommodation below, contact directly and use the “Summer school Geocomputation” reference to get a discount.
Hostelling International Matera – Le Monacelle – firstname.lastname@example.org from 22 Euro for a bed in a dormitory. Breakfast included.
Le Monacelle is a 16th century building providing a postcard worthy window into Matera’s historical area, Sassi. With its authentic cobbled terraces and location next to, or even in, the Stones of Matera UNESCO World Heritage Site, this is the perfect accommodation choice for lovers of archaeology – and beauty.
Cost of living in Matera
The average cost of living in Matera is low compared to Italian standards, e.g. meal in an inexpensive restaurant costs 10-15 Euro. You can find detailed information here.
The easiest way to reach Matera is to fly to Bari Karol Wojtyla Airport BRI (also called Bari Palese airport) around 70 km away. Bari Airport is also served by low-cost airlines, such as Ryanair, Easyjet, Gemarwings, etc (see the airlines destinations from/to Bari ) from main European cities.
Bari Airport to Matera
- Taxi (80-100EURO each way, 1h15min), keep in touch with other course participants to share.
- Direct bus service from Bari Airport to Matera (~5 Euro), running 3 times a day (1h 15 min trip) book online in advance selecting Data partenza (Departure date) then Bari and Matera in Partenza (Departure) and Destinazione (Destination) (see below an example for Sunday, June 18th).
Other useful links
In previous years, some departing students have organized a minibus go to the airport. Therefore, you may arrange your arrival individually, and coordinate your return trip with others when you are in Matera.
- Connection Bari airport – Bari city centre – Matera (plan a 3 hours trip):
- City-Bus public transport AMTAB BUS 16 , connecting the Airport with Bari Centrale railway station.
- Railway line Ferrotramviaria S.p.A connecting Bari Aeroport with Bari Centrale Station.
- Railway line, Ferrovie Appule Lucane connecting Bari central station with Matera.
Note, the bus & train option need to be planned in advance. Be aware that on Sunday some public transportation lines do not operate.
Alternative Routes to Matera
You can fly to Rome, Naples and connect to Matera:
There is a bus service Marozzi which connect main Italian cities with Matera.
SITA operates bus services from Matera to Taranto and Metaponto as well as other local towns and villages.
If you want visit the surrounding of Matera and the nearby Puglia region, public transportation is available. However, when exploring at your own leisure and seeing more remote areas of the region of Basilicata and Puglia, a hired car (at Bari Airport) would be handy. Some other useful links:
GRASSANI * Linee Potenza-Matera
MAROZZI * Linee Matera-Roma Tiburtina www.marozzivt.it
MARINO * Linee Matera-Altamura-Bari-Napoli www.marinobus.it
Any further updates will also be posted there.